Title: Executive Assistant/Office Manager
Position Type: Full-time
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Location: Newark, NJ (Hybrid Schedule)
Posted: May 25, 2023
About the Organization:
Project Ready launched in 2018 as a non-profit, non-partisan grassroots advocacy organization devoted to protecting and expanding high-quality education in urban communities through increased voter turnout and civic engagement. We believe that community members deserve the right to involve themselves in an electoral process that will yield excellent schools for their children.
Since then, Project Ready has expanded as an organization that not only works to ensure high-quality education for students, but engages with the broader intersection of social justice, public health, educational inequities, and civic engagement to holistically improve life outcomes for our community members.
For more information, please visit www.projectreadynj.org.
About the Role:
Project Ready is seeking an experienced Executive Assistant/Office Manager (EA/OM) who will provide EA support to Project Ready’s CEO and Leadership Team, and operations support in service to the broader organization. This role reports directly to the organization’s Chief Operating Officer. The EA/OM is a
critically important team member; the EA/OM will own and manage email inboxes, schedules, task-completion, back-office functions, and many other details that will ensure Project Ready’s CEO and Leadership Team can remain laser-focused on their core responsibilities — running the organization and
driving initiatives that serve the needs of the Newark, NJ community.
Who We’re Looking For:
A successful Executive Assistant/Office Manager at Project Ready is:
- Obsessed with Details: Nothing gets past you. You are highly-detail oriented by nature and have excellent systems for managing and tracking details for yourself and others.
- Mission Aligned: Though you could choose to do this work anywhere, you want to do this work in service to Project Ready’s vision and mission. Ideally, you live in Newark, NJ, are familiar with Newark, and/or and have demonstrated your commitment to this community.
- Flexible: While you expertly implement and run structured systems and processes, you know how to strike a balance between rigidity and flexibility. You don’t get easily frustrated by priorities changing. When others interact with your systems (e.g. your system for scheduling with others), you are open to feedback and able to adjust to different preferences and working styles.
- A Self-Starter: You take initiative. You are highly independent and can excel with limited direction. You do not expect, nor do you need, someone to hand you a manual on how to successfully complete an aspect of your role. Perhaps you prefer to be the author of the manual vs. the recipient!
- A Creative Problem Solver: Not only are you able to identify problems and inefficiencies in the work, but you are also adept at identifying and implementing creative solutions!
- A Team Player: Project Ready is a young organization and our team is small but mighty. You want to be part of a small, entrepreneurial team (in fact, you thrive in that environment!). You have an all-hands-on-deck mentality and will show up to support the team and the work.
- A Closer: You get things done, and make sure others do, too. You see things through, from start to finish. No one needs to look over your shoulder to make sure you’ve dotted your i’s and crossed your t’s. In fact, that’s what you’re doing for everyone else!
- Good Judgment: You are highly professional and diplomatic. You know when to ask for help or advice, you are perceptive and practical.
- Digitally Savvy: You are comfortable with digital tools, including Microsoft 365, Google Suite, Asana for project management, Quickbooks, Canva, etc. You are able to pick up new digital tools, and identify new tools that could support your work and that of your team.
- Curious: While your focus will be on core EA/OM duties, you are interested in understanding the big picture. You want to understand Project Ready’s program, and you independently ask “why” in order to exercise appropriate prioritization and judgment with daily activities. Understanding the broader objectives will help you be more successful in the role.
Below are the core responsibilities of an Executive Assistant/Office Manager at Project Ready. This list is not meant to be exhaustive; the EA/OM will perform other duties as assigned or required, and specific responsibilities will vary.
Provide highly effective administrative support in a fast-paced, high volume, and entrepreneurial environment, including providing direct support to the CEO as follows:
- Plan, coordinate and ensure the CEO’s schedule is followed and respected. Provide “gatekeeper” and “gateway” roles, creating win-win situations for direct access to the CEO’s time and office.
- Work closely and effectively with the CEO to keep her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately. Act as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the CEO updated.
- Successfully complete critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the CEO’s ability to effectively lead the company.
- Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks for the CEO including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and
compiling documents for meetings.
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follow-through onprojects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Provide direct support to the Leadership Team as follows:
- Participate as an adjunct member of the Executive Leadership Team including assisting in scheduling meetings and attending all meetings.
- Assist in coordinating the agenda of leadership team meetings and all staff meetings.
- Create first drafts for written communications to external stakeholders.
- Facilitate cross-team coordination of travel and outreach plans, communications and partnerships.
- Assist with on-site and off-site event planning and logistics.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the office, which include:
- Overseeing supply inventory, ordering and procurement processes.
- Maintaining the office environment and equipment to ensure a clean, organized, and welcoming space.
- Handling technology inventory and loan systems.
- Receiving incoming and preparing outgoing mailings.
- Organize team electronic files on shared google drives.
Finance and Compliance Management:
- Monitor billing emails and communicate with payees as needed.
- Process billing in the Bill.com platform and update classifications in Quickbooks.
- Gather and compile required materials for annual audits and grant reports.
- Manage the collection of new employees’ information and ensure they have the appropriate employment documentation.
- Create and maintain digital employee files via the TriNet platform and secure Google Drive.
- Assist with payroll and ad-hoc HR projects.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required; Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college is preferred.
- Strong work tenure: 5+ years of experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a non-profit organization and/or a start up.
- Experience in finance, bookkeeping, and/or operations.
- Possesses the skills, mindsets, and abilities described in the “Who We’re Looking For” section above.
- Sensitivity to confidential matters is required.
- Ability to work out of the Newark, NJ office 3-5 days per week (this will vary by week, depending on programming and meeting schedules).
- Ability to provide in-person support of evening and weekend programming.
- Physical Demands: ○ While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to sit; Occasionally required to stand, walk and stoop, and reach with hands and arms. Rarely required to kneel, crouch or crawl, climb or balance. ○ The employee must occasionally lift or move more than 30 pounds. ○ This job position works out of a building without elevator access and must be able to navigate stairs.